Dr. Martin Luther Mosher Jr., 100, Portland, Ore. Obituaries · August 02, 2013
Martin Luther “Luther” Mosher, Jr., M.D., died on May 19, 2013.
Luther was born on Jan. 20, 1913, in Agatha Hospital in Clinton, Iowa, to Martin L. Mosher, Sr. and Elva F. Mosher. He grew up mostly in Eureka and Urbana, Ill., attended the University of Illinois, and entered the University of Illinois Medical School in Chicago in 1933. After completing medical school and his internship, he became licensed to practice medicine in July 1938.
Luther married Delia (Dee) Randall after his third year of medical school on 30 Aug. 30, 1936. They had three sons: Stephen Seymour, Craig Randall and Dan Michael.
Luther saw many major changes in the practice of medicine. The first anti-bacterial drugs were called sulfa drugs and were first made available during the winter of 1937-38, while he was finishing medical school. Penicillin arrived several years later and steroids many years after that. Luther delivered a lot of his care in the patient’s home, particularly in the early years. Luther opened his first medical office in West Branch in 1938 and practiced there until he joined the war effort in 1943. He provided medical care to the Scattergood School and taught a first aide course there.
Luther volunteered for the Army after Pearl Harbor and left for England during May 1943 as a captain. He was assigned to the 121st Station hospital near the town of Braintree in Essex, northeast of London. Soon after D-Day, they received two trainloads of 300 patients each day for many days. Dr. Mosher was the anesthesiologist. He was overseas for 26 months.
After the war, Luther established his general medical practice in Iowa City, Iowa, in 1945. He practiced in Iowa City for more than 20 years. In 1967, Luther sold his practice and moved to Chicago to do a Psychiatric Residency at the University of Illinois Medical School. He finished at the Veterans Administration in 1970. Luther and Dee divorced in December 1972. Dee died in November 1986.
Luther married Myrna Mayo Seery on June 9, 1973, in the First Presbyterian Church in Lake Forest, Ill. They met during field trips to deliver psychiatric care at a veterans satellite clinic in Kenosha, Wisc. Myrna had three sons from her first marriage: Mike, Pat, and Tim. She was divorced from her first husband in 1971.
In the summer of 1974, they moved to the Portland, Ore., area where Luther started a job as the director of the hospital-based Home Care Program at the VA Hospital in Portland. Luther left the VA in 1976 and opened a private practice in Beaverton that continued until he retired in 1981.
The retirement years were quite active, particularly with travel. Luther and Myrna visited many family, friends and national parks in the United States with a succession of camping vehicles. They traveled to the Holy Land, France and Majorca, Spain. They also enjoyed sailing on the Willamette and Columbia rivers. Luther enjoyed making all sorts of wood or metal objects in his shop, ranging from furniture to parts to fix almost anything. Myrna died in May 2010.
Luther is survived by a sister Ruth Mosher Brown, all six sons, eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.
A celebration of life and memorial service will be held at the West Branch, Iowa, United Methodist Church at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 4.
Burial will follow at the West Branch Municipal Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Development Office, Scattergood Friends School and Farm, 1951 Delta Ave., West Branch, Iowa 52358.